banner image
Our City Vision

Inspired by lifestyle. Driven by opportunity.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Rates & water bills

Pay online by credit card

Pay your rate notice or water and sewerage rate notice by credit card through our secure payment gateway.

Pay your rate notice Pay your water bill

Please note: Payments by credit card will incur a surcharge of 0.66%, however payments made with BPAY from a credit card account will not attract a surcharge from Council.

Find out more about your water bill, including when your water meter is being read and when your next bill will be sent.

Having trouble paying your Council rates or water bills?

To make it easier to manage your payments, eligible property owners can apply for extra time to pay rates and water bills.

We have a variety of payment plans to suit you and your budget.

Manage your rates and water accounts online

With My Account, you can:

  • check your account balance
  • change your contact details and address
  • view copies of your rates and water notices*
  • set up or change a direct debit
  • request a payment arrangement
  • change a payment arrangement for rates (to cancel an existing payment arrangement, please contact us).

*Copies of both rates and water notices issued from July 2018 are available in the Rates section of My Account - click on the 'Rates notices' button in your rate account details under 'Rates and water accounts'.

If you haven't yet registered, visit My Account to find out more.

Already registered?

Sign in to My Account

Notice issue, payments, concessions and other information


Pay your rate notice on time

The City offers a discount for paying your rates on or before the due date of your rate notice. The discount amount on your rate notice represents a 10 per cent discount on your General Rate. There is no discount applicable on any other rate or charge appearing on your rate notice or water bill.

Choose a way to pay your rates and water bills, including the online options above, on our Payments page. This includes information about our direct debit facility (and how to apply), BPAY®, and pay by phone. You can also request changes to your direct debit facility from this page using our online forms.

Visit our Discounts and concessions page for information about other concessions that you may be eligible to apply for.

Request a copy of notice online

If you have registered for My Account, you can view copies of your rates and water notices online.

Use the button above to 'Sign in' to My Account. If you haven't yet registered for an account, use the 'Register for My Account' button.

If you don't have access to My Account, you can use the online form below to request a copy of your rates and water notices.

Request a copy of rates or water notice

Sign up for email delivery of notices

Would you like your future notices delivered by email instead of post? Register for My Account now to receive your rates and water notices by email.

For more information visit our Receive rates and water notices by email page.

Rate notice issue information

Your City of Gold Coast rate notice is issued twice yearly, usually in January and July, and covers six-monthly billing periods (i.e. January to June, and July to December, unless otherwise required).

Rates are a contribution each ratepayer makes to the City of Gold Coast towards the cost of running the city and the provision of community facilities and services, including water and sewerage. Each property is allocated a rating category according to land and property use, which is used as a basis for calculating the general rate charge. For more information, visit our About your rate notice page.

Find answers to frequently asked questions about your rate notice below.

Water notice issue information

To find out when your water meter is being read and when your next bill will be issued, visit My water bill.

Sale of land for arrears of rates

City of Gold Coast gives notice of properties to be sold by public auction due to non-payment of rates and associated charges. For details visit the Sale of land for arrears of rates page.

Related information

Jump to key information
  • How do I notify the City of my authorisation for another party to act on my behalf with regards to my rates and water bills?

    Note: Notifications will only be accepted from the registered owner of the property or in the case of a trust or a company, the Director of the trust or company.

    Property(s) held in the name of individual person(s): By completing the Nominate Authorised Representative form.

    Alternatively, you can call us on 1300 366 659 or +61 7 5667 5995. Please quote the rates or water and sewerage notice reference number, property address and current postal address.

    Property(s) held in the name of a trust or in a company name: By the Director completing the Nominate Authorised Representative form.

  • Are my rates subject to GST?

    No, rates and charges that appear on your rate notice are exempt from GST.

  • I bought this property but did not own it for the entire rating and/or water consumption period. Why do I have to pay?

    Please check your settlement statement to confirm whether a rate and/or water adjustment was done or contact your solicitor and/or agent for confirmation.

  • I paid my solicitor for taking care of the change of ownership. Why do I have a Property Transfer Fee on my rate notice?

    The fee payable relates to the cost incurred by City of Gold Coast having to change its records to reflect you as the new owner of the property.

  • What does my rating category mean?

    City of Gold Coast operates a differential rating system, which means your land is categorised according to land use and/or demand for, or benefit from, City of Gold Coast services and rated accordingly. Included with the rate notice is an information sheet that explains how property has come to be included in a particular rating category.

  • I have only just purchased the property, am I expected to pay the rate notice?

    Yes, normally any new or unpaid rates owing on a property before purchase should have been adjusted in your favour in settlement figures. You may care to check settlement documents or contact your solicitor to confirm the nature of the rate adjustment made upon settlement.

  • I have retired, am I entitled to receive pension concessions on my rate notice?

    Yes, if the rate notice relates to the property registered in your name and is your permanent place of residence and provided also that you are the holder of either a Queensland Pensioner Concession Card or a Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (for all conditions). A Seniors Card does not qualify. Other conditions apply.

  • What do I need to do to apply for pension concessions?

    To enquire about your eligibility for pensioner rate concessions, please call us on 07 5667 5995 or 1300 366 659 as you may be able to apply over the phone.

    Alternatively, you can complete an application form at your nearest City of Gold Coast customer service centre. Please bring your current Queensland Pensioner Concession card or Queensland Veterans' Affairs card.

    If you have recently moved to a new address within the City, you will also need to re-apply for pensioner rate concessions on your new property.

  • When is my rate notice due to be paid?

    The rate notice amount is payable by the due date shown on the front of the rate notice. Provided City of Gold Coast receives your payment on or before this date, discount will be allowed. If rates and other charges are not paid by the due date, the discount will be forfeited and the total rates will become overdue and subject to interest penalties.

  • What should I do if I am unable to pay my rates on time?

    If you are unable to pay your rates in full and on time, please contact us before the due date to organise a weekly/fortnightly payment arrangement. You can also set up a payment plan online as a registered user of My Account.

  • If I have a payment arrangement but am unable to make payment when it’s due?

    If you are unable to make a payment as arranged, please contact us beforehand to make alternative arrangements. Otherwise, your existing arrangement may be terminated. You may have to pay backdated interest charges and be exposed to recovery action.

  • Can I pay my rates in advance?

    City of Gold Coast rates can be paid in advance at any time either by making regular payments or making a lump sum payment. Please contact us to discuss payment methods including by Direct Debit or visit our Payments page to view your options online.

  • Are my regular payments listed individually on the rate notice?

    No, this would add pages to the rate notice and ultimately increase production and postage costs. You can view your account balance online as a registered user of My Account. You can also view a copy of your notice online through My Account.

    Alternatively, you can request a statement of account using the online form below without being registered for My Account, or contact us for clarification of your account balance or details of payments received.

    Request statement of account

  • Is the City's emailing of notices service available to all ratepayers?

    Yes, as a registered property owner, you can submit a request to receive your rates and water notes by email using the online form below.

    Alternatively, if you sign up as a registered user of My Account you will receive your rates and water notices by email and be able to easily manage your council services through a secure portal.

    Please note: Depending on the timing of this request, you may receive one more notice by post before your request for our email delivery service is processed.

    Request or cancel rates and water notice via email

  • Will I receive other City notices or accounts by email as well?

    If you register for My Account, you will be opting in to receive your rates and water notices via email, and other communications and notices from the City via email when possible. 

    In some cases, the City may still send some communications and notices through alternative communication methods.

    If you only register to receive your rates and water notices by email using the online form above and do not subsequently register for My Account, they will be the only notices you receive by email.

  • What if I'm outside Australia, can I still receive rate notices and water bills by email?

    Yes, if you if you are a registered user of My Account or have used our online form to register to receive your notices through our City emailing of notice service.

    BPAY View® registered customers - Yes, if you use Internet banking through an Australian financial institution. Otherwise, if you only have an overseas bank account, you won't be able to use the BPAY View® service.

  • Will I still receive notices through the mail once I register to receive notices by email?

    No, once you have registered to receive your rate notice or water bill via the City's emailing of notices service, or through BPAY View®, you will no longer receive the notices in the mail.

  • What about the inserts and brochures that normally come with the hardcopy notice?

    No problem, you'll be able to view all the brochures and notices that normally come in the mail online by visiting our rate notice mail out page.

  • If I receive my notice by email, what payment methods can I use?

    City emailing of notices service: You can use any available payment method (including direct debit).

    BPAY View® registered customers: As above. However, making payments by BPAY® payment is easy with BPAY View® as the amount to pay and reference numbers will be pre-populated for you.

  • I'm having trouble registering for BPAY View® and need more information.

    BPAY View® - If you need assistance with registering for Internet banking and/or the BPAY View® service, visit BPAY, or contact your financial institution.

    BPAY® and BPAY View® are registered trademarks of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518

  • Why aren't my water charges included on my general rates notice?

    City of Gold Coast is responsible for delivering water and sewerage services on the Coast.

    Gold Coast ratepayers receive a water and sewerage notice that is separate to their rate notice. Water and sewerage notices are issued quarterly.

    You have 30 days from the date of your notice to pay your water account or enter into a payment arrangement where you can pay by making regular instalments.

    The contact telephone number for water enquiries is 07 5667 5801 or 1300 000 928. All water enquiries and payments are supported across the Gold Coast at our customer service centres.

    For more information visit My water bill.


Top of page Top of page