banner image
Council of the City of Gold Coast

We provide a vast range of services, activities and facilities to make the Gold Coast the best place to live, visit and stay.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Right to information

Your right to information

City of Gold Coast is making it easier for you to access information managed by us.

You can locate information about our policies, financial reports, public registers and documents about our decisions. Most information published on our website can be viewed or downloaded free-of-charge. Otherwise, we will always inform you about any copying fees or charges before you use one of our information services.

You can view some of our information in other languages. We provide advice for people using our website who have a disability or have technical limitations such as low internet connection speeds and older browsers. We welcome any feedback you have about our website.

How do I access information managed by the City?

You can use any of the following methods to find information:

  1. View the documents published in our Publication Scheme. You can learn About us, Our services, Our finances, Our priorities, Our decisions, Our policies and Our lists and registers.
  2. Search our website. Can't find what you are looking for on our website? Try using our search box located on each webpage or check our sitemap.
  3. View the Disclosure Log published on this website. In our Disclosure Log, you will find details of documents that the City has already released after a person has made an RTI access application. Disclosure logs support the idea that if one person has expressed an interest in accessing particular documents, then the same documents might be of interest to the wider community. The Queensland Office of the Information Commissioner provides information about Disclosure Logs, including details of information which we cannot provide to you via our Disclosure Log.
  4. Use one of our information services such as property search. Council of the City of Gold Coast (Council) is required to keep a record and details of every parcel of rateable land within its boundaries. Or use PD Online to find information about development applications. View our City maps to find anything from a barbecue for a picnic, where to walk your dog, or a map to help you find and book a City venue.
  5. View and download our published datasets. As part of our Open Data Access Project, the City has published sets of data on topics as diverse as public boat ramps, to a listing of the City's heritage sites and a listing of our information holdings, all available in a machine-readable open format for public reuse. You can also contact us about your interest in the publication of other datasets by emailing
  6. Search the City Libraries catalogue for publications produced by your City. You can also search for historical maps, photos and publications, including technical reports about Gold Coast places and topics.
  7. Contact us by phone, email, mail or at a customer service counter or Facebook and Twitter. If the information you are searching for is not already published, we'll check whether the City holds the information and whether we can provide it to you via administrative access release. It is helpful if you can tell us about the type of information you are looking for (e.g. Is it a report, email or letter? What date was it created? Do you have a reference number?).
  8. Search for the City's records and historic records of previous Councils, which we have transferred to Queensland State Archives. View Our history for details about these previous Councils.

Making an application for access through a legal process

Sometimes we can only release information through a legal process.

  1. Submit an access application for information release under the Right to Information Act 2009 or the Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP Act). These are the two key Acts that people can use to access documents held by the City. You can email for further assistance.
  2. Submit an Evidence Act application. If you are a party in civil legal proceedings, you can apply directly to the City to inspect or obtain copies of documents under Section 134A of the Evidence Act 1977. If you require more information about obtaining documents for a court proceeding or if you are a party in criminal legal proceedings, please check the Department of Justice and Attorney General website for advice on accessing information for use in these proceedings.

What is Right to Information?

New Queensland legislation replacing Freedom of Information (FOI) laws came into effect from 1 July 2009, namely:

The Right to Information Act (RTI) aims to make more government information available to all sectors of the community. The RTI Act is complemented by the Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP Act), which establishes a right to access and to amend personal information.

What is Information Privacy?

The Information Privacy Act (IP) sets out the ways in which the City of Gold Coast and all other Queensland government agencies manage your personal information. You can view or request copies of your personal information as well as apply for these documents to be amended if the information is inaccurate or out of date:

Find out more about how the City manages personal information by viewing our Privacy Statement.

Need to know more about Right to Information or Information Privacy laws?

Further information is available from the Queensland Office of the Information Commissioner.

Related information

Jump to key information