banner image
My water. My future.

Water is a precious and limited resource. Whatever the weather, everyone and every drop counts.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Water leaks

To report a major water leak on public land, e.g. a burst water main, please call 07 5667 5801 or 1300 000 928. Check to see if it has already been reported by visiting the 'Water and sewerage alerts' page of the City's Media Centre.

Non-urgent water leaks on public land can be reported by visiting our Report a problem - Water and sewer page and completing an online form.

Water leaks on private property

Leaking toilets, taps and more particularly, leaking underground pipes can waste a lot of water, leading to high water bills. For example, a tap that drips once every second will waste up to 33 litres per day. In comparison, a leaking underground water pipe can waste thousands of litres per day and not be visible. Leaks can also cause structural damage to your property and even attract termites.

Checking for leaks regularly and repairing them quickly is a simple way to save water and money.

City of Gold Coast reads water meters every three months. If water use for the quarter has spiked significantly, we issue letters to the householder as an alert that they may have a concealed water leak. We recommend householders regularly check their water meter to detect a concealed leak early. Not all water leaks are visible.

This section provides information on how to detect leaks, what to do if you find a leak and how to prevent leaks. You may be eligible for relief on a high water bill caused by a concealed leak (conditions apply). Select from the drop-down headings to find out more:

Checking for concealed leaks 

A concealed leak is water escaping on the customer's side of the water meter from the property's main internal water pipe supplying water to the property.

Water leaks that occur from water pipes and fittings on the property side of the water meter are the responsibility of the property owner (including leaks occurring in water fittings or appliances including toilets, taps, hot water systems, pools, irrigation and tanks).

The best way to check for leaks is to regularly read your meter to detect any unusual variation in consumption between readings. Visit our Water meters page for information on how to read your water meter.

If you think you may have a concealed leak such as an underground leak or would like to check, please follow the steps below:

  1. Turn off all taps and water using appliances in and around your premises.
  2. Check your water meter and take a meter reading. If the dials on your water meter are moving there could be a leak. If there is no movement on the dials, there may still be a slow leak.
  3. To check further for leaks, do not use any water for at least one hour, then take another reading. If the meter reading has changed, there may be a slow leak.
  4. To fix the leak, check all fixtures and fittings and/or call a licensed plumber.

If you find a concealed leak, turn off your water supply at the meter immediately and call a licensed plumber.

Plumbing work carried out in Queensland must be completed by a licensed plumber with the appropriate endorsements.

To locate a licensed plumber use the Yellow pages.

How can I prevent leaks?

Preventing leaks in your home could save you money. Here are some simple ways to prevent leaks:

  • take care not to plant large trees over pipes and mains that run through your property as their root growth may damage the pipes
  • speak to your local nursery about suitable plants as root growth can also cause cracks and leaks in your pool
  • inspect your pool regularly for cracks and signs of leaks
  • ensure automatic watering systems (e.g. pool top up, irrigation) are regularly maintained and checked for leaks
  • turn taps off gently to help lengthen the life of washers
  • install water hammer arrestors if you have a water hammer problem as this will reduce shock and help extend the life of affected pipes
  • ensure all building and renovation work is undertaken by a licensed professional.

Concealed water and sewage leakage relief

Save water and money by fixing leaks or plumbing issues quickly. This should be carried out by a licensed plumber.

The City offers relief to customers who have received a high water bill because of a concealed leak and have had the leak repaired by a licensed plumber in a timely manner. Conditions apply.

For more information read the Water and Sewage Leakage Relief Policy.

To apply for relief from a concealed leak, we require customers to complete a water and sewage leakage relief application. Applications must be accompanied by a licensed plumber's invoice as proof that the leak has been detected and repaired.

To be eligible for leakage relief, the following requirements must be met:

  • the concealed leak was repaired in the main water supply pipe from which water enters the property;
    note: pool leaks, tap leaks, toilet leaks, leaks in the irrigation system and plumbing fixtures are not eligible
  • the leak was repaired within two weeks of notification from the City that a leak may exist
  • proof the leak has been repaired (attach a copy of the licensed plumber’s invoice)
  • the application is made within a term equivalent to one billing period of identification or notification of a potential leak (whichever is sooner)
  • all sections of the application form have been completed.

Note: Leaks repaired in the main internal water pipe may be an indication that the age of the pipe and/or the material or work practice used during installation is such that further leaks are likely to occur.

Please contact us on 07 5667 5801 or 1300 000 928 if you have any queries or require further information.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page