Do I need development approval?
To determine whether your project requires development approval use the City’s online tools as listed below.
You can access the City’s interactive mapping page to determine the below information:
- Zoning - The zoning of your property will help to determine the type of development that may occur on your site.
- Overlays - Overlays display the unique characteristics for each property such as protected areas, flood risks and valuable resources. Different property characteristics may affect the category of development assessment needed for a planning and development application.
How to locate your property
- Type your property into the search bar and hit enter.
- The property will appear on the map with a highlighted border.
- Select the tabs on the left hand side of the map to access contents.
How to generate a property report
- Locate the property by following the steps above.
- Select ‘View a City Plan property report’ on the pop up window.
- If you need a hard copy, the report can be printed.
Once you have obtained your property report from interactive mapping, you can find out more about development requirements in the City Plan. The City Plan will help you determine what parts of the planning scheme apply to your proposal and what information you need to provide in your development application.
See Buying, selling and searches for more information about the different types of property searches available. Visit Lodging a search request to submit a search request online.
PD online is a self-help planning and development tool, used to access basic property information and find details of development applications by property or by application number.
Pre-lodgement meetings are available for applicants to discuss non-compliance of a proposal with City Plan requirements and identify alternative acceptable solutions prior to the formal lodgement of an application.
See Before lodging a development application for more information.
The information found within the interactive mapping and the City Plan will help you to determine whether you will need to submit a development application to the City.
Development on a local heritage place is regulated by the relevant provisions of the Queensland Heritage Act 1992, the Queensland Heritage Regulation 2015 and other relevant planning legislation. The relevant provisions of City Plan also apply, particularly section 8.2.9 Heritage overlay code.
For further information see Building and development on cultural and heritage sites.
If you have any further questions, contact our Planning Enquiries Centre on 07 5582 8708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of other common planning and building enquiry contact numbers, see Planning and building enquiries.
Return to top