Hope Island was named after Captain the Honourable Louis Hope, who was granted 1800 acres at the mouth of the Coomera River in recognition of his contribution in developing the sugar industry in Queensland.
Louis Hope, a colonial aristocrat, arrived in Moreton Bay in 1848.
By the 1860s, he had built a substantial home and sugar plantation at Ormiston near Cleveland on the edge of Moreton Bay. Louis Hope never lived at Coomera.
The development of a sugar plantation Rockholm on the island was undertaken by the Grimes family.
By the 20th century, the sugar and arrowroot plantation had passed into the hands of the Sheehan and Davidson families.
Information and images provided by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Collection.