This image opens up in a popup window. To close this window please push the escape key on your keyboard.Click to enlarge
Main Beach, located on the eastern side of the Nerang River estuary (The Broadwater) is bounded to the north by The Spit and by a narrow isthmus (Narrowneck) extending to Surfers Paradise in the south.
The name Main Beach is descriptive, since it was the main surf beach for the town of Southport, the earliest surveyed town in the immediate area.
Prior to the construction of the Jubilee Bridge, visitors were ferried across the Nerang River to surf at the main beach.
Following the construction of the Jubilee Bridge in 1925, land was auctioned and holiday houses were constructed here.
Visitors were important to the local economy and the Southport Town Council opened the Main Beach Bathing Pavilion in 1934.
Land reclamation to the west of the surf beaches began as early as the 1930s.
Today Main Beach high rise buildings are focused on Tedder Avenue with a permanent residential neighbourhood, restaurants and coffee shops.
Information and images provided by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Collection.