Pacific Pines history
This image opens up in a popup window. To close this window please push the escape key on your keyboard.
Click to enlarge
Aerial view of Pacific Pines, 2003.
Photographer Daryl Jones
Surveyed by George Pratten in 1847, the area was originally part of the large pastoral run known as Cumboomba (Coombabah), which was leased by William Duckett White on 11 July 1867.
Part of White's pastoral run was forfeited on 1 January 1870 and, by 1873, John William Cornelius Howard of Coomera had acquired the land, which included the area situated between Saltwater Creek and Coombabah Creek. Howard owned the Riverside Sugar Mill at Coomera.
By 1917, the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney (National Australia Bank) had acquired the property.
At some stage in its history, some of the area was converted to a pine plantation.
Located 18 kilometres north west of Surfers Paradise, the 800 hectare site that became Pacific Pines was purchased by the Stockland Trust Group from Rene Rivkin's Stroika group for approximately $18 million in 1992.
In 1993, the first stage of a master-planned 5000 lot residential development was launched. In 1994, Pacific Pines was approved as a neighbourhood name.
It was anticipated that Pacific Pines would gradually be developed over a 10 to 15 year period.
The site was designed to incorporate kindergartens, one high school, two primary schools, parklands, service stations, a medical centre, a commercial centre, bikeways and sports and community facilities.
As the development grew successfully, extensions to roads in the surrounding area improved access and commercial developments took place. Originally part of Gaven, it was officially named a suburb on 7 February 2003.
In 2008, Pacific Pines celebrated its fifteenth anniversary.
In 1993, the first block of land sold for $56,000. By the time of its fifteenth anniversary, land cost $236,000 per lot. Development of the site was anticipated to be completed by 2011 with over 11,000 residents calling Pacific Pines home.
Information and images provided by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Collection.
An early settler: The Duckett White Family in Australia by M.W.D. White, Hennessy Investments, Ashgrove, 1990
Hinterland Sun, 18 February 1993
Gold Coast Bulletin, 12 February 1993
Gold Coast Bulletin, 8 April 1993
Gold Coast Sun, 10 September 2008
Hinterland Sun, 29 July 1993
Moreton 40 chain map, Sheet 11 South by The Survey Office, Department of Public Lands, Brisbane, 1917.
Weekend Herald, 3 February 1994
Weekend Bulletin, 9-10 August 1997
Return to top