Pioneers of Springbrook
In 1906, a group of settlers known as the Springwood Group travelled by coastal steamer from Bermagui on the south coast of New South Wales to Brisbane, Queensland.
From Brisbane, they travelled by train down to Nerang and then up the Springbrook Plateau by a rough bush track. The track had only recently been hacked out of the ridge by a surveying party in the area.
Some of the group made their temporary homes at surveyor A. H. Burbank's camp, appropriately named Camp Creek.
A few of the party travelled up a stream which they called Purling Brook until they came to an area named Cork Flat, named after two selectors named Herrick and Lionel Cork.
Survey of Springbrook
Prior to their arrival and the survey of the plateau, only a few timbermen and walking parties from Numinbah Valley had ventured here.
Difficult access and the inclusion of the area into a vast timber reserve deterred white settlement until as late as 1906.
By then, the Queensland Government was encouraged to open up timber reserves in the Numinbah Valley and on Numinbah Plateau (as Springbrook was then known) for dairying.
After survey, a Cobargo businessman, T. J. Tarlington organised a syndicate of settlers, the Springwood Group, from around the districts of the south coast of New South Wales. Group settlement proved to be a successful approach in developing new areas.
The settlers had the support of families and friends as they worked to develop their isolated plateau properties into dairy farms.
How Springbrook was named
Pam Hall in her history 'Springbrook; Where the clouds touch the Earth' states that the settlers may have been influenced by surveyor Burbank's naming of Purling Brook.
On arrival, they simply changed the settlement's group name of Springwood to Springbrook.
Information and images provided by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Collection.