Click to enlarge
The railway bridge over Tallebudgera Creek,
circa 1910. A. Bignell, photographer.
Tallebudgera Valley, 1930s.
The mouth of Tallebudgera Creek,
November 1924. Photographer unknown.
- The village of Tallebudgera was originally known as Maybree which was the name of a certain tree that grew in the area. (Steele, J.G., Aboriginal Pathways in Southeast Queensland and the Richmond River, p.62).
- Tallebudgera is the name given to the tidal creek between Southport and Coolangatta on the Gold Coast. It was first named the Perry River after Captain S. A. Perry, New South Wales Assistant Surveyor General, in 1840. Tallebudgera is an Aboriginal word said to mean good fish and derived from talle meaning fish and budgerie meaning good. Probably Botany Bay dialect. (Place Names Cutting Book, John Oxley Library)
- According to J. A. Gresty in The Numinbah Valley: Its Geography, History and Aboriginal Associations, Tallebudgera was an Aboriginal name derived from a dialect spoken around Sydney where boodjerie meant good. This was probably an expression introduced to the area as early as the 1840s by cedar getters who misinterpreted the local phrases chaloom woojerie meaning fat fish.
Tallebudgera Valley terminates at the foothills of the McPherson Range to the west. The valley has a long history of cedar getting, banana plantations and dairy farming.
Winding roads follow the Tallebudgera Creek and its tributaries, crossing at low level bridges.
Subdivision from larger holdings to small hobby farms has taken place in recent years.
Information and images provided by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Collection.
Return to top