banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Lodge a development application

Application types

Find out about the types of development applications available for lodgement.


Applications can be submitted using the online forms available within the sections below and on the relevant application pages.

Submit a development application

Once an application has been submitted electronically using the online form, all future application correspondence must be submitted in PDF format without password protection.

Please note the online lodgement process is only available for new (initial) applications. Any additional application correspondence (e.g. information responses) should be emailed to

Application documentation is to be submitted as follows:

  • Forms - combined as one single PDF
  • Supporting documents - combined as one single PDF
  • Plans - combined as one single PDF
  • Specialist reports - combined as one single PDF

Register for My Account

The City has a new information technology system for major customer, property and revenue functions. As part of this new system, you can register for My Account – a secure online portal to lodge applications, access your information, request services and manage your accounts from one location.

You will need to sign in to My Account to use our ‘pay later’ option when submitting an application and requesting an invoice for payment. With My Account, you will also have 24/7 convenience to:

  • pay bills and manage your sundry debtor account
  • make service requests and track progress
  • perform property searches
  • update your details
  • lodge and track licence and permit applications
  • lodge and track development applications.

As a registered user of My Account, you have the additional benefit of personal details pre-filled in your service requests and application forms.

For more information and to register, visit My Account.

By mail or in person

By mail

Send completed relevant application forms along with a cheque* for payment of fees to:

Chief Executive Officer
City of Gold Coast
PO Box 5042
GCMC 9726

*Please make cheques payable to City of Gold Coast.

In person

You can submit completed applications forms and make payment at any of our customer service centres.

More information

For information about application submission requirements, please see the Frequently asked questions below or call the Planning Enquiries Centre on 07 5582 8708.

Development application fees vary depending on the type of application. Refer to the Register of fees and charges for more information or do an online application fee enquiry.

Related information

Jump to key information
  • How should I prepare my attachments for submitting via email?

    The attachments you prepare for email lodgement should include a maximum of four (4) attached PDF files – Forms, Supporting documents, Plans and Specialist Reports.

    Combine each attachment as one single PDF document and name the PDF file. See example as follows:

    • Forms 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf
    • Supporting documents 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf
    • Plans 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf
    • Specialist reports 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf

    Do not password protect the PDF documents for lodgement.

    Depending on the application type, not all four sections may need to be provided.

    Note: There is a total 20mb size limit for all attachments that can be uploaded via the online form. If your documents exceed this limit, they can be lodged separately by requesting a Dropbox link from

  • What are the requirements for a properly made application?

    The development application must be submitted in the approved form to the assessment manager, and accompanied by:

    • documents required under the form (must be attached to, or given with, the application)
    • the written consent of the owner of the premises which is the subject of the application (Note: the State Government has an applicant template with the information required for obtaining owner's consent from an individual and/or company)
    • the required fee. Refer to for the regulatory fees and charges.
  • What happens if my application is not properly made?

    Where the assessment manager considers that an applicant has not provided a development application that satisfies the requirements of the Planning Act 2016, the assessment manager must issue an action notice before the end of the confirmation period. This notice must state what actions the applicant must take for the development application to meet the properly made requirements.

  • What makes a good application?

    • use of the correct forms
    • provision of plans and drawings that clearly illustrate the proposed development, that are formatted to be able to be measured at A3 scale, that include a north point and suitable references (i.e. title, date, version and draftsperson)
    • a proper assessment of the proposal details, consideration of adjoining owners and justification against the relevant criteria (i.e. planning scheme or policy)
    • payment of the required fee.
  • What are common issues that can cause processing delays?

    Common issues include:

    • incomplete sections on the application form
    • poorly drafted, unclear plan or drawings (i.e. no dimensions, no scale, no height of buildings indicated, no setbacks from boundaries shown)
    • no proper assessment against the applicable performance criteria of the City Plan codes or policy
    • conflicting report and plan information
    • incorrect application type for the proposal (i.e. referral agency assessment vs generally in accordance).
  • What will happen to an application that has processing issues?

    Where applicable, an applicant can be given an information request which is an opportunity to rectify a matter within the assessment, before the decision is made.

    Upon receipt of the request, an applicant can choose to provide all of the information requested; provide part of the information requested; or not provide any of the information requested.

    Notwithstanding the above, as the City's assessment of the proposed application will be based on the information provided, it is recommended that you provide all of the information requested.

    If a response to the information requested is not received within the stated timeframe, the City will continue with the assessment of the application without the information requested.

  • What are the owner’s consent requirements?

    All current registered owners must provide written consent.

    Advisory notes:

    • Where a change of ownership of the premises has occurred within the last six months, a copy of the solicitor’s letter or title documentation advising the transfer date is recommended to be submitted with the application.
    • Where a power of attorney has been granted authority to sign for an owner, a certified/signed copy of the power of attorney documentation including dealing numbers is recommended to be submitted with the application.

    Where the owner is a company or corporation, written consent is required as follows:

    1. the ACN number; and
    2. the names, titles and signature(s) of:
      • two directors of the company, or
      • a director and the company secretary, or
      • the sole director plus written confirmation that the company has only one director.

    Where the owner includes a body corporate, written consent is required as follows:

    1. the body corporate seal; and
    2. body corporate
      • resolution providing written consent to the making of the application, including the names, titles and signature(s) of the chairperson and one member, or
      • letter of written consent to the making of the application including the names, titles and signature(s) of the chairperson and the secretary, or
      • letter of written consent to the making of the application from each lot/unit owner included in the body corporate.

    Other ownership arrangements

    • Leased land – the lessors of the land must give owner’s consent.
    • Dedicated parkland – the owner or the trustee, within the terms of the trust or reserve, must give owner’s consent.