banner image
Plan sealing

Developments creating new titles, require the approval of a survey plan, easement and/or covenants.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Plan of subdivision (plan sealing)

Online lodgement for plan sealing applications is now available

From 1 March 2021 applications lodged by email are no longer accepted.

Find more information about online lodgement.

You must lodge a plan of subdivision (survey plan) with us for approval before the plan can be registered with the Titles Office, Department of Natural Resources and Mines and Energy (DNRME). A newly created lot cannot be built on until the approved plan of subdivision is registered with the Titles Office.

For a plan of subdivision to be sealed (approved), the development/application must:

All outstanding property rates, water rates and infrastructure charges must be paid before applying.

Getting started

Generally, the qualified surveyor who draws up the plan of subdivision (survey plan) will submit the application to us on the owner’s behalf. All correspondence about the application will be sent to the applicant. The applicant is required to advise assessment officers in writing if other parties are to be included in any correspondence.

As part of your development approval conditions, you may have to register the following documents with the Titles Office along with your plan of subdivision:

  • easements, especially where Council owned infrastructure (stormwater, water or sewerage) is, or proposed to be located on private property
  • land transfer requests
  • covenants regarding land use and/or construction including preservation of vegetation, native animals or any cultural significance relating to the lot.

Plan sealing process

  1. Pre-lodgement assessment for Standard Format Plan applications

A pre-assessment request is available for Standard Format Plan applications. No fees apply.

We will issue a compliance report to help you complete plan sealing lodgement application. The report will list:

  • the relevant development approval conditions for compliance
  • one advice on infrastructure charges notice
  • any outstanding issues that may hold up compliance of a Plan sealing lodgement assessment.

Contact details are provided for applicants to clarify any technical matters.

Applicants record their compliance with each condition on the Compliance report then submit the report with Standard Format Plan. A decision will be made within 10 business days.

  1. Plan sealing application

An application for approval of a subdivision plan is submitted with all required supporting documentation and conditions of approval. Use the Plan Sealing Application Kit to help you complete the application.

  1. Application assessment

After an initial assessment of your application, you will receive either a Subdivision Acceptance Notice or a Subdivision Incomplete Request Notice.

  • A Subdivision Acceptance Notice confirms assessment has begun and you will receive a response within 20 business days of lodgement.
  • A Subdivision Incomplete Request Notice list outstanding items that are required before we can assess your application.

For application that receive a Subdivision Incomplete Request Notice, if the application has not achieved compliance by the 20th business day, we will issue a Subdivision Compliance Notice outlining the outstanding issues and place the application on hold.

  1. Approval

A Subdivision Approval notice will be issued once all plan sealing requirements have been met. Council will also endorse all submitted Titles Registry documents at this point.

  1. Register your endorsed/approved plan of subdivision with DNRME

You have 6 months from the date of Council approval to lodge the plan and relevant documents to Titles Registry Office, DNRME. If you do not lodge your application with DNRME within 6 months, then Council approval lapses. You will be required to resubmit your application to us with new lodgement fees including all up to date rates, water and infrastructure charges.

More information

For more information, contact us on 07 5582 9036 or email:

How to apply

Use this form to lodge a plan sealing application. Refer to the Plan sealing application kit to help you complete the application. Incomplete applications cannot be assessed.

Properly made applications will be assessed within 20 business days.


Fees apply and must be paid at time of lodgement. An application is not considered ‘lodged’ unless fees are paid. For online applications, fees are automatically calculated. For hardcopy applications, refer to our Register of fees and charges for details.

Payment methods

Online payment methods:

  • credit card (for all users);
  • a tax invoice (for those logged in on their My Account); or
  • a Business Partner account (for those logged in to their Business Partner account).

If you do not have a Business Partner account, we recommend you create a My Account.

Step 1. Download the Plan sealing application kit

Read all the information in the Plan sealing application kit. You will need to sign a declaration as part of the application.

Step 2. Gather your documentation

You will need to submit the following supporting information with your application:

  • completed compliance list
  • completed DNRME forms and original legal documents for transfers, easements, covenants involving Council of the City of Gold Coast and Community Management Statements.
  • fee payment

Step 3. Complete and lodge the application form


Submit online

You can use this online form even if you need to submit hard copies of some documents.  

In person

  1. Complete the application form

Download, print and complete the Plan sealing application kit

  1. Visit one of our customer service centres

Submit your application and pay at one of our customer service centres Monday to Friday between 8.15am and 4.30pm.

By mail

  1. Complete the application form

Download, print and complete the Plan sealing application kit

  1. Send us your completed application form and payment

Please include a cover letter quoting the related plan sealing application number provided.

Post to:

Chief Executive Officer
City of Gold Coast
PO Box 5042


Building Format Plan (BFP)

A survey plan that defines a subdivision of a building using the structural elements; floors, walls and ceilings, and may include common property, or private open space, e.g. a private courtyard. Building Format Plans (BFP) are formerly known as a Building Units Plan (BUP) and do not require a Reconfiguring a Lot (ROL) development approval.

Standard Format Plan (SFP)

A survey plan that shows the subdivision of land. The plan is used to create individual lots and common property. The boundaries of lots are defined by dimensions and bearings, using horizontal planes and references to pegs/posts in the ground. Includes building and private open space on an allotment and has common property. Standard Format Plans (SFP) formerly included Group Titles Plans (GTP) and require a Reconfiguring a Lot (ROL) development approval.

Volumetric Format Plan (VFP)

A volumetric format plan (VFP) defines lots by three dimensionally located points; height, length and width and are fully defined by bounding surfaces (e.g. a cube). The lots may be above, below or partly above and partly below ground level. A VFP may divide a lot or lots and/or common property on a standard, building or volumetric format plan of subdivision.

Community Management Statement (CMS)

A CMS is required for a survey plan that includes common property and where a community title will be created (e.g. standard format or building format plan). The CMS is a document which identifies scheme land and complies with the requirements of the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997. The document describes the scheme and any future development. It contains the By-laws, an "Interest Schedule" (previously Lot Entitlement) and a Contribution Schedule and discloses and defines any service agreement to the scheme for example management, care taking, letting, etc.

Properly made

A plan of subdivision application must be filled out with the correct information and in the correct format. A plan sealing application kit (if used) must have the correct information listed in section 2 and contain the applicant’s declaration in section 2a or 2b. Additionally the application must be accompanied with the relevant supporting information and payment of the application fee must be made.

Related information

Jump to key information
  • Who can help me prepare my plan of subdivision?

    The City suggests that you make contact with an appropriately qualified professional. As a starting point, the City recommends you liaise with a qualified surveyor who has experience with working in the City of Gold Coast.

  • What forms are required to lodge a plan of subdivision application?

    Please refer to the forms section for the correct application and checklists.

  • What do I do after City of Gold Coast endorses my plan of subdivision?

    If there are no further requirements to satisfy your conditions of approval (i.e. there may be bonding agreements in place), City of Gold Coast suggests you make contact with the Titles Office, which is part of the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME).

  • When can I start building a house on my newly-created block?

    The plan of subdivision is required to be endorsed by the City of Gold Coast and the titles registered by the Titles Office – which is part of the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy – before the newly created allotment can be built upon.

  • How and when do I pay the application fees?

    The application fees are payable at time of lodgement. Please refer to the current Register of fees and charges.

  • How long will it take for my plan of subdivision to be finalised by City of Gold Coast?

    Under the Planning Act 2016 an application has 20 business days from lodgement of application for assessment to be completed. If the development complies with the relevant conditions then the request will be approved.

  • What is bonding?

    A bond is the payment of security by the owner to the Council of the City of Gold Coast to secure compliance of certain development requirements prior to approving a plan of subdivision. An “owner” is the owner of the land or their authorised legal representative.

    Bonds may be used in the following circumstances:

    • to secure compliance with a condition of a development approval in accordance with The Planning Act 2016
    • to secure completion of uncompleted conditions of a development approval for operational works and/or reconfiguring a lot in accordance with The Planning Act 2016
    • to ensure public works infrastructure dedicated to the City has been correctly constructed and installed, has been properly maintained, is free of defects and is fit for its intended purpose
    • to mitigate the risk of damage to City infrastructure or the degradation of environmental quality.

    Please refer to section of the City Plan.

  • What are ‘As Constructed’ drawings?

    All reticulated and drainage systems must indicate the existing services to which the subdivision is connected.

    The ‘as constructed’ information will be used by the City to ensure that the completed works satisfy the following:

    • provide an accurate record of the ‘as constructed’ completed works for location, level and attribute information in accordance with City requirements and specifications
    • ensure that the finished product is in accordance with the approved Engineering Drawings and Council standards and specifications
    • ensure an inventory of contributed assets is handed over to the City for asset recognition purposes.

    Please refer to section of the City Plan.

  • What do I do if the conditions in my permit require a plumbing and drainage approval?

    A submission to the City for approval is required before starting work. Once work has commenced, please contact a plumbing and drainage inspector to arrange an inspection. For a complete list of all plumbing and drainage requirements please visit the Plumbing and drainage page.

  • Do I need to pay infrastructure charges?

    The issuing of an Infrastructure Charges Notice may be triggered by: assessable development; a change to application approval; or an extension approval. The types of development that may trigger the issuing of an Infrastructure Charges Notice are:

    • reconfiguring of a lot
    • material change of use
    • carrying out building work.

    Refer to the Infrastructure contributions page for more information.

  • When do I need to pay my infrastructure contributions?

    Infrastructure charges are required to be paid before approval of plans of subdivision. For further information regarding infrastructure contributions please call 07 5582 9030 or email

  • What do I do if I have any other questions?

    Please email the plan sealing team with your enquiries to


Top of page Top of page