banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Residential services buildings

A residential service provides accommodation for four or more people who live in one or more rooms and individually pay rent. Typically, each resident has the right to occupy one or more rooms but not the whole premises. Residents in a residential service share facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen. Some services also provide residents with food or a personal care service as part of their accommodation agreement.

Another form of residential service is known as an aged rental scheme. This provides accommodation to a person who rents a self-contained unit and who receives food or personal care services from (or on behalf of) the scheme operator.

A person proposing to conduct a residential service in premises may apply with the Queensland Government for registration of the service. For more information please refer to the Queensland Government - Business Queensland website.

Building compliance notice

Amongst other requirements, the application must be accompanied by a building compliance notice for the premises issued by the local government within the previous 12 months.

A building compliance notice is issued by the local government for the local government area in which the premises are situated, stating that the premises comply with the prescribed building requirements.

The prescribed building requirements are the requirements stated in the Queensland Development Code, part 5.7.

To make an application for a Building Compliance Notice in residential services buildings, please refer to the form below.

Premises intended to accommodate more than six people

In premises intended to accommodate more than six people, the building/s must comply with the requirements of MP2.1 - Fire Safety in Budget Accommodation Buildings under the Building Act 1975. Please contact Queensland Fire and Emergency Services for confirmation of compliance if a building fire safety inspection has not been undertaken within the last six months. For more information please refer to Queensland Fire and Emergency Services.

A building development application for a budget accommodation building may be required and must be accompanied by a fire safety management plan that will, after the building work is carried out, comply with the Fire and Emergency Services Act 1990, Section 104FC. For further information please contact a private certifier.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page